Reference: Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (20 USC § 1092(f)); F.S. 1001.64; 1004.65; College Policies 8.010, 8.030
Date of Review: 05/2016
Effective Date: 05/15/2016
This procedure describes the process to be followed and the conditions under which a Timely Warning Notice or an Emergency Notification will be issued. Such notices are to alert all members of the Omega Studios’ School community of emergency or threatening situations or specific crimes as defined by the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (“Clery Act”.)
Timely Warning Notice: Notice to all members of the school community when a specific crime, as defined by the Clery Act, has occurred on or in close proximity to the campus, and the crime represents a serious or continuing threat to members of the campus community. Examples of crimes that require a Timely Warning Notice are:
- Murder/Non-Negligent Manslaughter
- Negligent Manslaughter
- Aggravated Assault
- Motor Vehicle Theft
- Sex Offense/Forcible and Non-forcible
- Hate Crimes
Emergency Notification: Notice to all members of the school community of an emergency or dangerous situation that poses an immediate threat to the health or safety of students, employees, or others on campus. Examples of Emergency or Life Threatening Situations that may require an Emergency Notification include, but are not limited to, the Clery Act crimes described above and:
- Active shooter/persons with weapons
- Threats of violence
- Physical or sexual assaults
- Immediate threat related to domestic violence
- Chemical spills
- Weather-related emergencies
- Serious acts or threats to campus-owned or personal property
When a crime or other emergency or threatening situation is reported to school officials, the Director will consult with the Director of Administration, the facilities manager, other school authorities, and local law enforcement to determine on a case-by-case basis whether to communicate such information to the campus community via a Timely Warning Notice or an Emergency Notification.
- Timely Warning Notice: Considerations, Timing, Content, Distribution
- The decision to issue a Timely Warning Notice will be decided on a case-by-case basis after considering all of the facts related to the crime, including factors such as the nature of the crime, the continuing danger to the campus community and the possible risk of compromising law enforcement efforts to investigate the crime or apprehend suspects.
- A Timely Warning Notice will be issued as soon as pertinent information is available. The intent of a campus Timely Warning Notice is to alert the campus community of continuing threats, particularly those concerning safety, thereby enabling the campus community to protect themselves.
- A Timely Warning Notice will include the date of the incident, location of the incident, offense classification, summary, suspect description, contact information for anyone with information about the suspect(s) or crime, and other pertinent information.
- The School disseminates Timely Warning Notices to members of the campus community including officials with significant responsibility for student and campus activities, campus security, or local law enforcement via methods that may include but are not limited to:
– Text messaging
– Omega School Alert website: www.omegastudios.com/alert/
– Omega Studios’ School website: www.omegastudios.com
– Posters or flyers
- Emergency Notification: Considerations, Timing, Content, Distribution
- An Emergency Notification will be issued when it is determined that a significant emergency or dangerous situation on campus poses an immediate threat to the health or safety of students or employees, unless notification will compromise efforts to assist the victim, or to contain, respond to, or otherwise mitigate the emergency.
- An Emergency Notification will be issued as soon as reasonably necessary and without delay.
- The Emergency Notification to the campus community may contain only the information that is reasonably necessary to promote the safety of the campus community.
- The Emergency Notification will be distributed through the School’s Emergency Notification System.
- Omega Studios’ School will test its Emergency Notification System at least once per calendar year.
Reviewed by Director of Administration Date: 05/15/2016
Approved E. S. Petersen, Director Date: 05/15/2016